How to Cook Raw Kidney Beans
The first recipe we are going to show you is how to prepare raw beans. This is the basic procedure you can skip by buying canned beans. However, if you buy in bulk, you can save a lot of money piling up sacks of beans and cooking them up for yourself week to week. Dollar for dollar, beans are an incredible fuel source. Also, sacks of beans can be used like sandbags in Spartan training.
Related: Kidney Beans: Food of the Week
7 Easy (and Delicious!) Kidney Bean Recipes
1. Basic Kidney Bean Recipe
Light red kidney beans are often packed in a 2-pound bag. This makes about 24 servings (½ cup each) after cooking. 1 Cup dry = 3 cups cooked.
Overnight Soak Method Be sure to use a large enough pot since beans expand to double or triple their size when soaked and cooked.
- Place beans in a pot and cover with water at least 3 inches above the beans.
- Soak overnight. Drain the soaked beans; rinse with clean water and drain again.
- Add 3 cups clean water for every 1 cup of dry beans.
- Bring to a boil, turn the heat down to low, and cook slowly until tender – about 2 hours.
- You may need to add more water during cooking. Use beans in any recipes that calls for cooked and canned beans
Quick Soak Method
- Place beans in a pot and cover with water at least 3 inches above the beans
- Bring to boil and boil for 2 minutes
- Turn off the heat, cover, and let the beans soak in the water for about an hour. Use beans in any recipes that calls for cooked and canned beans
2. Kidney Beans & Quinoa
Ingredients- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon each Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 15oz can no salt added kidney beans
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron preferred for additional iron boost) over medium high heat
- Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook 5-10 minutes
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
- Add vegetable broth and quinoa, reduce heat and simmer until most of broth is absorbed by the quinoa (about 10 minutes). Additional seasoning at this time as desired (parsley, basil, turmeric)
- Add kidney beans and cook an additional 5 minutes (to heat through). Enjoy!
Related: A Lean and Green Quinoa Bowl
3. Moroccan Style Beans
Ingredients- ½ tsp small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoons cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 15-ounce cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- ½ cup finely diced carrot
- Mix together spices, olive oil, and lemon juice
- Add in remaining ingredients and toss to coat
- Serve at room temperature or store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Goes great on top a bed of greens or wrapped up in a collard green wrap.
4. Bean and Greens Salad with Mandarin Orange
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup kidney beans
- 2 mandarin orange, peeled and separated into wedges
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 1/8 -1/4 cup feta cheese
- Whisk together oil and vinegar
- Rinse greens and beans and place in a bowl. Top with remaining ingredients
- Toss in oil & vinegar. Enjoy!
5. Savory Beans and Tomato Stew
Ingredients- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup onion, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- (Optional salt and pepper to taste)
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add cumin and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are almost browned.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, thyme, and optional salt and pepper. Stir to mix, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Serve as a hearty stew or dip with tortilla chips. Stores in the fridge for up to 5 days.
6. Easiest Ever Kidney Bean Burgers
- 2 ½ cups kidney beans
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or gluten free crumbs of choice)
- 1 carrot, steamed and mashed OR ½ cup canned puree pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tbsp hemp hearts for a burst of nutrition (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mash kidney beans and carrot together (or pumpkin if substituting)
- Mix chili powder, cumin, breadcrumbs (and hemp hearts if using for a burst of nutrition) together
- Form into 4 patties and bake on a parchment lines baking sheet for 20 minutes. Serve on your favorite whole wheat or gluten free bun or wrap in collard greens!
7. Quick Chili
Ingredients- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups kidney beans, cooked
- 1 can tomato soup, no water added
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- Sriracha (optional, to taste)
- In a large skillet, brown turkey (about 10 to 15 minutes)
- Drain meat; add onion and cook for additional 5 minutes
- Add kidney beans, soup, and chili powder and heat for 5 minutes.
- Add optional Sriracha if using.