As our foundation is continuing to develop, we must also think about laying the groundwork for our power system. This is where plyometrics come in.
Plyometrics develops the stretch-shortening cycles necessary to maximize your jumps to help clear every wall, to push you up the endless stairs, and to press you off the ground through your burpee. These exercises build you up to be the strongest and quickest athlete who can destroy any course.
This workout is designed to be done as a circuit of 4 sets with minimal rest between exercises. Take a 2-5 minute rest between each round of exercises for maximum performance benefits.
KB/ Pancake Clean - 4 sets of 10 reps (RPE 7-8) - What’s RPE?
- How: Start in your deadlift position, drive through your hips while pulling the weight to chest level and absorb the weight in a squat. This will teach you how to flip a tire and pick up a bucket or atlas stone.
Lateral Pancake slams - 4 sets of 10 reps (RPE 7-8)
- How: Slam the pancakes to your left and right sides, alternatively.
Power Push Ups - 4 sets of 10 reps (RPE 7-8)
- Beginner: Try these on an incline
- Advanced: Add a clap at the top or try hopping onto yoga blocks/ a low step.
Vertical Pancake Toss - 4 sets of 10 reps (RPE 7-8)
Ice Skaters - 4 sets of 10 reps (RPE 7-8)
- Advanced: Try this on a slide board or in your socks on a slippery surface.
Jumping Pull Ups - 4 sets of 10 reps (RPE 7-8)
- Tip: Use the jump to propel you to the top of the pull up then control as gravity pulls you down. This will build strength for a bodyweight pull up and it is the basis for every time you jump over a wall!
Burpees - 4 sets of 10 reps (RPE 7-8)
Pull out your favorite Acumobility SPARTAN Ball or Acumobility SPARTAN Eclipse Roller. Spend anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes on each muscle, depending on tightness. Everybody’s body adapts differently to power training. Familiarize yourself with your personal aches and soreness. Use this soreness and body aches as a guide to find the right muscle groups to release.
Ready for tomorrow?
Start Stadium Sprint Training Plan from the beginning?
Subscribe to the Spartan Workout of the Day to get your week of workouts and a featured exercise sent to your inbox each week.