Recipe of the Week: A Lean, Green Quinoa Bowl
Optimal performance, on and off the course, takes more than macronutrients. The micronutrients found in quinoa provide:
- A complete protein source
- Magnesium: Energy production, muscle contraction, nervous system function, protein formation
- Phosphorus: Acid-base balance, hormone activation, energy production, and storage
- Folate: Protein metabolism
- Iron: Energy production, red blood cell formation, wound healing, immune function
Basic Lean, Green Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup spinach, chopped (substitute any of your favorite greens)
- ½ cup pesto sauce
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, then cover and reduce to a low simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir every few minutes to keep quinoa from sticking to bottom of the pan.
- Stir spinach into cooked quinoa. (The heat of the quinoa will wilt the spinach nicely.) Stir gently until mixed evenly.
- Stir in pesto sauce. Transfer to four bowls and top with pine nuts. Add sea salt to taste. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of @DaveSherotski