Have a healthy dinner fast. Bake a squash and get creative. Use your Spartan ingenuity to incorporate what you have around you in the kitchen.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- Use a large sharp knife to cut the top inch off of the spaghetti squash, removing the remaining visible stem. This will make the next step easier.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Set the squash cut-side-down in baking dish and add enough water to cover the bottom of the dish by about ½ inch. Microwave uncovered on high for 10 to 20 minutes until the color deepens and you can easily insert a knife into the flesh. Time varies based on squash size.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer, using a spatula, out of the dish. Turn over and allow to cool an additional 5 minutes, cut side facing up. The goal with this cooling practice is simply so you don’t burn yourself. Once cool enough to handle safely, use a fork to gently scrape the filling out of the squash and into a bowl. You’ll quickly see why it is called spaghetti squash.
- Look for a spaghetti squash that is small enough to fit into a microwave safe dish when cut in half.
- You also have the option to cook only one half at a time.
- Top with your favorite spaghetti sauce, pesto sauce, or butter and herbs