Breakfast Lentil & Oats with Warm Apples
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 large apples, unpeeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and swirl to cover the surface. Add apples and cook until slightly softened, approximately 3-5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add cinnamon, stir to mix well. Heat a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add lentils and oats and stir.
- Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a steady simmer. Add milk and stir well. Cover and continue to simmer for 25-30 minutes, until lentils and oats are cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Divide among bowls and enjoy warm. Or store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Pro Tip: What a little more flavor? Stir in ½ tsp of vanilla extract.
Lentil and Oats with Apples by Joe Thrasher
Jo Thrasher is a self-taught home cook who loves feeding people real food. She is passionate about sharing recipes on her blog joeats.net and can usually be found cooking, eating, practicing yoga, or with a camera in her hand. She currently resides in the suburbs of PA with her husband and two cats.