Cleaned-up Winter Squash Cheese Dip
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup diced red onion
- 1½ tbsp flour of your choice (almond, chickpea, wheat)
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen butternut squash puree, thawed
- 1 tbsp minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¾ cup shredded 4-cheese Mexican-blend cheese, divided
- 3 tbsp sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced jalapeño pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat (We recommend using a cast iron skillet because it can be transferred directly to the oven for step 3, saving on dishes. Additionally, your food will absorb some of the iron from the skillet, increasing the nutritional benefits). Add red onion; cook 5 minutes or until softened. Add flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add stock, squash, chipotle, and adobo sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add half of both cheeses and cook until cheese is melted.
- Preheat broiler to high. If you are not using a cast iron skillet, you will need to transfer the recipe to an oven-safe casserole dish now.
- Sprinkle remaining cheeses over top. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Top with green onions, jalapeño, and cilantro (if using).
Tip: Serve with your favorite pita chips or celery sticks.