Imagine 24 hours locked in isolation in a completely dark shipping container competing to see who can run the furthest on a TrueForm treadmill. Retired United States Marine, Major Brian Chontosh (aka “Tosh”) and three others (John Witzing, Josh Chessman, and Isaiah Vidal ) accepted this challenge to raise awareness around mental health with the Whiteboard Project’s LL24h ( https://www.thewhiteboardproject.com/24-hours-of-isolation ).
The recipient of one of the highest military honors, the Navy Cross, Tosh has shown unmatched fortitude in combat and combating the stigmas around post-traumatic stress. Jump in the shipping container with us as we learn how to “suck a little less each day.”
In this episode Joe De Sena interviews Tosh before he enters the shipping container and then all four athletes the moment the box is unsealed.
- You are what you advertise
- Do a lot with very little
- Surround yourself with great people
- Want “in” on the hardest things
- Do things you don’t want to do
- Identify your limits and expand your horizons
- Prove things to yourself, know your limits & strive beyond them
- Measure your effort, but against the right things
- Always do the BEST that you can in EVERY moment
- PTS vs PTSD: traumatic stress as a normal reaction vs a disorder
- Don’t believe your own bullsh*t
- Walk humbly, absorb, think, question..
- it's not about having the right answers - it's about having the right questions
- Take ownership - kill the excuses!
- Rationalizations are just excuses in a fancy package
- Break down big problems to small problems & utilize small solutions
- Stay process oriented
- Focus on the task at hand and that will lead you to the target
- JUST BE HAPPY WITH YOU
- Suck less today then you did yesterday :)
Brian Chontosh articles:
His advice on how to think about and pursue goals with effectiveness.
Performance on Demand: What is is and why you need it.
How Parenting and Leadership have so much in common.
This episode of “Spartan Up!” is sponsored by Athletic Greens. Get 20 travel packs free when you order at https://athleticgreens.com/spartan
0:00 intro to episode
1:18 Athletic Greens
1:48 Interview begins
2:00 Marine background
3:00 The Navy Cross
3:40 shipping container challenge | Whiteboard Project
4:45 What is a strong mind
5:40 The need to do things you don’t want to
6:00 Dr. L’s advice
7:10 The burden of command
8:30 Truth of looking yourself in the mirror
9:15 Competitions in life
11:00 Mental Health Awareness
12:00 PTS as normal & natural - not a disorder
12:40 Athletic Greens break
16:27 Interview continues
16:45 barriers of knowing & bullsh*t
17:30 Not about answers- It’s about questions
20:00 Rationalizations are just excuses in a fancy package
24:00 Reductionism: breaking big problems down to have small solutions
26:00 How to suck a little less
28:00 Keep your eye on the task at hand
29:18 The panel gets ready to break them out of the shipping containers
29:35 Shipping containers opens
29:50 Tosh’s reaction to 24 hrs in darkness
32:00 The four Whiteboard Challenge participants men’s reaction
41:00 Sefra, Angle, Johnny & Joe discuss the interview
Apple Podcasts: http://bit.ly/SpartanUpShow
Google Play: http://bit.ly/SpartanUpPlay
FOLLOW SPARTAN UP:
Spartan Up on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/spartanuppodcast/
Spartan Up on Twitter https://twitter.com/SpartanUpPod
Producer – Marion Abrams, Madmotion, llc.
Hosts: Joe De Sena with Johnny Waite, Sefra Alexandra, and Col. Tim Nye.
Synopsis – Sefra Alexandra
Production Assistant - Andrea Hagarty
© 2018 Spartan