Maximize your dinners with this side dish that will deliver hearty vegetable nutrition with a surprisingly sweet and savory taste.
Sweet and Savory Brussel Sprouts
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts (about 4 cups), trimmed and halved through stem ends
- ¾ cup broth (vegetable or chicken)
- ½ cup figs, stemmed and quartered
- ½ tsp dry thyme
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- Place a skillet over medium heat and heat oil.
- Cook shallots in over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add Brussel sprouts to skillet and toss with shallots and garlic, then add broth and figs. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, tossing once or twice, 13 to 18 minutes.
- When Brussel sprouts are softened, stir in thyme, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately.
Optional nutrition boosters: Top finished sprouts with ¼ cup heart healthy chopped walnuts or pine nuts.