In the 7th century BC, the Spartans wanted to produce the strongest and most mentally tough citizens on earth. To do this, they created the Agoge, a system of training that became the envy of the known world.
Spartan Race brings this same philosophy to modern times with a fully immersive training program that balances class time with hands-on practical application of skills and lessons taught in the classroom. The Spartan Agoge will be held in Pittsfield, Vermont on the “farm” twice a year—once in summer and once in winter—with special sessions for US military units.
In the future, the Spartan will host the Agoge in historic locations across the globe.
To complete the Spartan Agoge, a person must overcome mental and physical obstacles that aim to develop the body, mind and spirit. Most people will need to undertake months of training and self-discovery to earn this coveted achievement.
It is advised that entrants have completed various endurance events and intellectual challenges. This could mean developing perseverance, camaraderie, and leadership through military training, or it could mean completing various Spartan Race and Spartan Hurricane Heat distances.
Learning during The Agoge training centers around:
- Purpose: Having a clear intention or objective in life.
- Commitment: Dedicating oneself to a fulfilling, healthy, and meaningful life through action.
- Resiliency: Adapting to change and overcoming stress and adversity repeatedly.
- Knowledge: Gaining information, facts and situational awareness through lived experiences.
The Spartan Agoge brings together every physical and mental strength as well as everything a person has learned in life. Finishers become innovative thinkers, prudent risk-takers, and expert decision-makers. They will embody the Spartan Code, a code of honor and respect that breeds trust and inspires action. Most importantly, they become masters of themselves.
Spartan Endurance Challenges Offered:
- Hurricane Heat: 4-7 hour Team Building event
- HH12HR: 12 hour Team Building and individual testing event
- Ultra Beast: 26-mile (or more) obstacle race
- Agoge: 60-hour event that builds physical, tactical, mental, and team-based strength through training, testing, and evaluation.