Unleash your inner Spartan at our trademark obstacle. You will need a steady hand, and a strong arm as you let fly!
- One attempt to throw the spear and have it stick into the spearman (wood or hay).
- The spear can not be touching the ground.
- Spear does not stick into the spearman or it is touching the ground.
- 30 Burpees
Percentage that Burpee: 86%
- Total body coordination
- Accurate throwing skills
- Wrist flexors and fingers
- Rhomboids and scapular stabilizers
Most Important Exercises:
- Medicine Ball throws
- Practice with footballs and/or darts.
Tips for Success:
Practice throwing footballs and darts at targets to get some foundational skills and accuracy with throwing objects “past the ear” and not over the head, more like a baseball. Follow up your practice by building strength behind the throwing pattern by using hip-driven medicine ball throws against a wall. At the race, when throwing the spear, point your front foot at the target and when throwing, ensure the spear passes your ear. Always finish by following through completely until your throwing hand is also pointed directly at the target. Given the Spear Throw, even in the Elite heat, has a very high failure rate, one of the most important things we can do is ensure that the 30 burpee penalty is something that we can easily conquer without negatively impacting our performance for the upcoming obstacles.
Ready to take on the challenge? Sign up for a Spartan Race today!