A SPARTAN EDGE INITIATIVE
phalanx — (n.)
- a body of troops or uniformed officers, standing or moving in close formation and working together.
- (Ancient Sparta) a body of soldiers with long spears, drawn up in close order with shields overlapping protecting each other and working in unison.
LEARN FROM THE MASTERS
Sparta was the envy of the Ancient world, and for good reason. With unflagging discipline to their training, rock-solid camaraderie, and a distinct sense of humor, Spartan soldiers quickly became known for their ability to work together to accomplish incredible tasks. Today, we take the spirit of Ancient Spartan training and use it to forge unbreakable leaders and teams.
At the Spartan Corporate Phalanx, teams of leaders come together to hone their skill at handling unforeseeable obstacles, breaking up tasks, encouraging one another, and never giving up. We test your team’s physical, emotional and mental limits, ultimately turning you into an unbreakable unit.
GROW BY DOING
Far from a corporate “boot camp,” the Phalanx offers a full range of activities, from restorative yoga to rigorous outdoor team-building adventures. Whether you opt for a breathtaking sunrise at the top of Joe’s mountain, a high-adrenaline ropes course, navigation training or wilderness survival workshops, we provide a place for you to grow—as better people and stronger, more communicative teams.
BE WELL—EAT WELL
Our facilities are set in Pittsfield, VT, home to an old-world general store and farm-to-table restaurant headed by a critically-acclaimed chef. Our 700-acre farm lies right in the middle of the green mountains, surrounded by hundreds of thousands of acres of pristine woods, trails, rivers and streams.
CUSTOM PROGRAMS FOR UNIQUE TEAMS
At the Phalanx, the Spartan Team will work with yours to create a program tailored to your unique strengths and needs so that we may bring each and every member of your team outside his or her comfort zone. After each day of adventure, your team returns to the comfort of award-winning accommodations and a well-deserved, expertly-prepared, healthy meal provided by Vermont Farms Catering.
Spartan is the world leader in grit, resilience and team-building. We are the largest endurance event company in the world. Between our staff of retired military leaders, education courses, physical, nutritional and mental training offerings, we help millions of people around the world to learn how to eat, train and mentally prepare for success.
Spartan runs programs for West Point, Cornell University, Reebok and other university, military and corporate organizations.
OUR DEVELOPMENT TEAM
Our development team is comprised of executives and ex-military alike:
JOE DE SENA: The CEO and Founder of Peak Races and Spartan Race, Joe De Sena is grit in human form. He will show you to the outer edges of your comfort zone—and then push you through.
CSM (R) FRANK GRIPPE: Terror, retired Command Sergeant Major Frank Grippe brings incomparable experience and tactical intelligence to the team.
COL. TIM NYE: After 32 years of service, Colonel Tim Nye retired in 2013 as Director, Special Operations Public Affairs, U.S. Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida. Colonel Nye played a key role as an operator and communicator in American operations in six countries including Afghanistan. He holds two Master’s degrees: one in strategic studies and one in military arts and sciences.
GUY BATCHELOR: At Minerva Elite Performance, Guy Batchelor and his team combine psychology, management training tools, academic research and practical team exercises and experiences to help the best teams get even better. He spent 24 years in service of the British Army and is also an associate lecturer at the University of Northampton.
CHARLES PISO: Charles Piso is a master of the art of communication. After helping to pass an enhanced 9-1-1 initiative as Chief of Staff in the House of Representatives, Piso joined the police force and earned numerous decorations over the next two decades. With extensive experience as a crisis hostage negotiator and a strong background in mindfulness meditation, Piso understands communication inside and out.
DIANE STOKES: After 25 years in high tech, and after surviving the gauntlet of building her own healthcare business (to eventually be sold to McKesson Corporation), Diane Stokes decided to bring her skill to Spartan. With her knowledge of resilience, frame of reference shifts, business creation, and commitment, Stokes works relentlessly to sharpen Spartan’s inner life and to bring life-changing experiences to kids and adults.
KEN LUBIN: Ken thrives when he’s getting people out of their comfort zone. A Death Race winner, managing director/executive recruiter with ZRG Partners, founder of Executive Athletes, and US Olympic Committee Career Advisor, Ken helps people to achieve their dreams and companies to achieve their goals by living a high performance life.
LOCATION: AMEE LODGE AND RIVERSIDE FARM
- Arrive and greet Spartan Staff.
- Receive bagged lunch and hike to Shrek’s Cabin.
- Enjoy casual catered dinner at Amee Lodge (Vermont Farms Catering).
FOLLOWING DAY—EARLY AM
- Wake up and head to the top of the mountain for sunrise hike.
- Eat breakfast on top of the mountain and discuss your group’s goals for the day.
- Learn how to find your True North and your company’s True North.
- Head down in teams and navigate checkpoints en route to Amee Lodge.
- Enjoy an adventure activity such as rock climbing, rappelling, spelunking, swimming, navigating or braving the ropes course.
- Break into teams rotate farm tasks. Learn how to forage, and then prepare ingredients for lunch and dinner.
- Enjoy another outdoor adventure. (See examples above.)
- After lunch, begin basic survival training. (Examples include starting a fire, building a shelter, finding water and basic navigation.)
- Personal time—reflect, rest and catch up on email.
DINNER AT RIVERSIDE FARM
- Enjoy a nutritious farm-to-table dinner (Vermont Farms Catering).
- Share s’mores by the fire.
- Discuss the day as a group.
- Reflect: finding True North.
DAY TWO – EARLY AM
- Hike up the Stone Stairs at Riverside Farm.
- Receive closing address.
Pricing varies depending on activities, lodging and number of attendees. For more information, please contact Peter Borden.