Spartan Rice and Beans
60 minutes plus 8+ hour soak time
- 1 cup black turtle beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- Sort through beans removing any funky looking ones, along with any non-bean debris that might have gotten into you beans.
- Wash beans in a colander.
- Soak beans over night in refrigerator.
- Rinse beans throughly in colander.
- Boil beans in water for approximately 60 minutes. Add water when needed. You want to keep beans submerged. (Start cooking your rice)
- Test beans with a fork to see if they are ready.
- Bring 2.5 cups of water to boil with 1 cup of rice.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 40-50 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork or spoon.
Then heat rice and beans together in one sauce pan, then serve with some of these recommended ingredients:
- Your favorite salsa (optional)
- 1 TBS of Greek yogurt (optional)
- Cheddar cheese (optional)