Black Bean & Oregano Soup
229 calories per serving
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup of mushroom, chopped
- 2 cups cooked black turtle beans*
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup fresh oregano leaves
- In a big sauce pan, roast the garlic and onion in the coconut oil for 2-3 minutes on high heat.
- Add all the other ingredients except for the fresh oregano leaves.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes on medium/low heat.
- When the carrots are cooked, it’s ready to serve. Add a pinch of fresh oregano leaves on each serving.
How to Cook Black Beans
- Sort through beans removing any funky looking ones, along with non-bean any debris that might have gotten into you beans.
- Wash beans in a colander.
- Soak beans over night in refrigerator.
- Rinse beans throughly in colander.
- Boil in water for approximately 60 minutes. Add water when needed. You want to keep beans submerged.
- Test beans with a fork to see if they are ready.